Sources of Information
- Bombardier Transportation, Woburn House, Derby, DE1 1UL..
Aerial photographs, plans and illustrations.
- The Geological Survey.
a) Geology of the Country Between Burton, Rugeley and Uttoxeter, 1955.
b) One inch Geological Map, Sheet 140.
- The Ordnance Survey, Southampton.
- East Staffordshire Borough Council, Burton upon Trent.
Details of A38 interchanges.
- The Duchy of Lancaster, Lancaster Place, London, WC2E 7ED.
Needwood Forest Map and details of Forest Gates.
- The Editor, Burton Mail, Burton upon Trent.
Aerial photograph of Barton under Needwood.
- The Staffordshire County Council, Countryside Officer.
Local government boundary changes.
- Mrs.M.Tonking,The Lichfield Diocesan Registry Archivist.
Ecclesiastical Parish boundaries.
- Barton under Needwood Tithe Map of 1839.
Village size and exact forest gate locations.
- Derby Art Gallery.
Joseph Wright’s painting of Needwood Forest.
- Barton Parish Council Environmental Development Committee Report,
A useful reference of how Barton saw its future development, ( 1976 ).
- The Victoria County History of Staffordshire.
Details of Needwood Forest. Timber for church and school.
( Also some details from a preview of Volume 9, including Barton, due to be published in late 2003 ).
- “The Land Utilisation Survey of Britain”, Part 61, Staffordshire,1945.
General references to the climate of the region.
- Local Fieldwork Studies.
The author’s own research.
- (a) The Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway, 1839.
(b) The Manor of Barton under Needwood.
Both by Gerald Carey.
Typescript copies of these can be seen in the Local History Section of Barton under Needwood Library.
- Mill Farm, Barton under Needwood.
An Architectural Survey of Barton Mill. W.G.Roberts.
- The Village Design Statement produced by the Village Action Group
in 1999 under the auspices of Mr.E.J.Sharkey.
- Jeff Mason Design Associates, Burton upon Trent.
Information relating to Barton Marina.
” If we shadows have offended
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber’d here
While these visions did appear “.
( Shakespeare, – ” A Midsummer Night’s Dream ” )
The writer was a member of Barton under Needwood Parish Council from 1970 to 1979, and Head of the Geography Department at the John Taylor High School from 1958 to 1985.